Thursday, June 17, 2010

The days are flying by and the walk is almost here!!!  The big news is that Alexa was one of 20 kids between the ages of 10 - 15 chosen to participate in the Youth Corp. that supports the Komen walk!!!  She completed 5 essays and an interview to be selected.  She now has a goal of raising $1,500 in the next month.  Go Alexa.  She is on her way.  I am so happy that she will be part of this journey with me and my teammates.  She won't be walking, but will be supporting the walk in all different ways - cooking, cleaning, lending a helping hand wherever they need her.  What a great experience for her.  Check out her site at www.the3day.org/goto/alexamellon     GO ALEXA!!!!

Training is going well.  I have stayed on track with the training program pretty closely, which has us walking a lot of miles.  Last weekend was 17 on Saturday and 13 on Sunday.  Well, I only did 11 on Sunday - it was raining and I had been out the night before dancing and I figured I probably danced another 5 miles worth - at least!  The training is not hard, it just takes a lot of time on the weekends - which at this time of year is a bit difficult.  The good company on the walks makes it fun!

Thoughts and prayers go out to teammate, Maurine Turcotte - who recently started chemo again and is on a trial with 27 other women in the entire country.  Maurine also lost her mom this past week.  Marcia Lund is also about to start her chemo.   Cheryl Woodsom's step mom is also fighting a recurrence and is starting chemo.  These are just some of the reasons I walk.  No one should have to face this and so many of us do. 

So now for the good news -- 

Katie has officially graduated from the 4th Grade and is off to Amesbury Middle School next year.  So proud of what she has accomplished!  Her insulin pump start was 2 weeks ago and I am happy to report that things are going well and she has so much more freedom than she used to.  Actually, we all have more freedom than we used to. 

Alexa graduates tonight from the 8th grade and will be delivering a graduation speech -- which I have not read.  I can't believe she is off to high school next year. 

Summer is here and I wish you all a great summer.  Enjoy every minute of it.  I will keep you posted as the walk grows closer!

Lastly - Mark your calendars - Tuesday, July 6th is our Flatbread Amesbury Fundraiser. Who wants to cook in July?  You'll be recovering from the 4th - so if you are in town and can make it - come enjoy some great pizza with the Tough Warrior Princesses. 

Blessings
Patty
 

No comments:

Post a Comment